Friday, March 27, 2009

The Good Fairies of New York - Martin Millar

Possibly one of the oddest books I have ever read, this had me chortling all the way to London and back on the train.

The Good Fairies of New York is a story of many, many characters. Right from the off, we meet Morag and Heather, two Scottish thimble fairies, who are transported to New York while escaping the old country and the chaos they left behind them. After a rather amusing and vocal disagreement, the fairies go their separate ways; Heather with the unsociable, ungracious and musically untalented Dinnie, and Morag with the sweet but self-centred Kerry, who suffers from Crohn’s disease. It turns out that Morag and Heather are not the only fairies in New York, in fact the city is rather heavily populated by many races and cultures, just as with the humans. These other fairies aren’t too impressed with events that proceed, Morag and Heather cause many a scene, followed by the tumultuous arrival of other Scottish, English and Irish fairies, hot on their trail.

I won’t give any more details, as it is difficult to summarise the story without utter confusion. As you can imagine, the story descends into absolute chaos, with alcohol, magic mushrooms, music, adventures, fights and laughs aplenty. Good Fairies was a surprisingly quick read and perfect for my frustrating journey to London, keeping my mood light with many a giggle and guffaw. Needless to say I received many a bewildered look from other passengers.

This latest addition has an entertaining introduction from none other than the great Neil Gaiman, and with an endorsement like that, how could not enjoy it. Martin Millar is actually British, which comes across in his knowledge of Scottish lore and his style of humour, despite the story being set in New York. I shall definitely be reading more of Millar’s work and highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy, humour and music.

Other blog reviews:
Stuff as Dreams are Made On

18 comments:

Kailana said...

I really want to read this. I really thought my library had it, but when I went to request it I was wrong! I will have to buy it at some point, but first I have to finish Lonely Werewolf Girl which they do have...

Ana S. said...

"Odd" as in "awesomely odd", right? :P I'm really glad you enjoyed it! And I think you'll love Lonely Werewolf Girl too.

chrisa511 said...

I thought this book was so so good! Glad you enjoyed it too :D I have Lux the Poet sitting on my nightstand right now waiting for me!

mariel said...

Kailana - I'm hoping to read Lonely Werewolf Girl next, looking forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Nymeth - Definitely "awesomely odd"!

Chris - Enjoy Lux the Poet.

Literary Feline said...

This does sound good, Mariel! I've added it to my wish list. Thank you for the recommendation.

Melody said...

Sounds good! I'll add this to my wishlist as well! :D

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to reading this in 2009. It has been high on my list for a while now.

mariel said...

Literary Feline - No problem, enjoy!

Melody - Hope you like it too!

Rhinoa - Higher...higher...

valentina said...

the more I read about this book that more awesome it sounds!!!

Jena said...

all right, I've added this to my books to look up at the library list... but I can only request two interlibrary loans at a time, so it may be a while before I can get a copy.

Kim L said...

Ummm... yeah. Totally adding this one to the wishlist. Thanks for the rec!

Susan said...

This is on my list for OUaT3! Hurray. SO I don't have to add another one on my to get list....good review. I'm even more curious to get to it - I suppose I'm holding out because I loved Lonely Werewolf Girl so very, very much.

The Bookworm said...

sounds really good, great review!
its always good when a book can make the reader laugh.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Ladytink_534 said...

Delia Sherman did a similar story but it was more YA. Sounds like a very good book though!

Amanda said...

Great review! I just added it to my Once Upon a Time III to-read list. Thanks!

mariel said...

Valentina - You'll love it, a really fun and lighthearted read. Well endorsed by Neil Gaiman indeed!

Jena - I really think it will be worth the wait!

Kim L - No problem, enjoy!

Susan - I'm so looking forward to my OUaT reads. And Lonely Werewolf Girl of course!

Naida - I don't read enough books that make me laugh. I have several Christopher Moore books stashed away, I may have to break them out for some giggles.

Ladytink - I don't know Delia Sherman. Google here I come.

Amanda - Thanks! Enjoy Once Upon a Time!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I picked this one up purely because of Gaiman's recommendation and the fact that he did the foreward. I still haven't gotten around to reading it though. I need to, because I also really want to read Lonely Werewolf Girl.

mariel said...

I've read so many good reviews of Lonely Werewolf Girl. I hope you enjoy Fairies, its a really entertaining read with very amusing characters. I was given Fairies as a gift and only heard of Millar since through the blog world, so I'm very grateful!