Thursday, March 26, 2009

Skellig - David Almond

I owe this entirely to Nick Hornby. Skellig was always a book that jumped out at me when I was working at the bookshop, but despite it being very short, I somehow never read it. Until Nick Hornby, self-confessed YA fiction-phobic author extraordinaire wrote his fabulous review in one of his Believer columns (Shakespeare Wrote for Money).

Skellig is the tale of love, loss and hope. It is the story of Michael, a young boy whose prematurely born sister is fighting for life in a hospital incubator while he and his family move home to try and make a new start. Michael loves his sister, feels an strange and strong connection with her, but he also feels lonely and detached from the events taking place. His parents attentions elsewhere, Michael spends his time exploring the new house and garden, and becoming friends with Mina, the home-educated girl next door. But it is the crumbling run-down garage that Michael discovers Skellig, a strange ailing creature huddled in the dark, living off scraps. Is he a man, an owl? Or something very very different?

Skellig could not have been more beautiful if David Almond had tried. It was perfect. A perfect, special tale that brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. I could do nothing after putting the book down but sit and smile to myself, bathing in all Skellig's tender glory. Certainly one of the most beautiful books I have ever read, I bought a copy for a friend right away and heartily recommend it to everyone. Thankfully, this is part of the school curriculum for Year Five and Six (9-10 yrs old) in the UK, so most children will get a chance to enjoy Almond's wonderful writing. As for myself, I shall thank Nick Hornby for this one and will be reading more of the great David Almond's work in future.

Skellig has been performed as a radio play, on stage in London and Broadway as an opera, and has recently been made into a television film, starring the indescribably wonderful Tim Roth and will be airing sometime over Easter on Sky One. I for one will be tuning in.

Other blog reviews:
Valentina's Room: "A short novel that feels like a little treasure, special and rare."
Penny's Pages: "This book leaves you with a sense of wonder and hope, because of the mystery it creates."

(let me know if I missed yours)

(p.s. dear readers, please note that I have not used the adjective "gentle" in this review once. surely that deserves a cookie?)

13 comments:

valentina said...

I love your reviews, it made me want to read it again!

And indeed it was gentle, in every aspect of it. So lyrical and down-to-earth at the same time!
so yeah, you deserve a cookie:)

Kailana said...

This sounds good! First I really want to read the Hornby book, though.

Ana S. said...

*hands you a cookie*

That's it. I'm ordering this book!

mariel said...

Valentina - Thank you! I loved how beauitfully simple this story was, and yet managed to really moved me.

Kailana - I can't recommend both enough!

Nymeth - Do it, you won't regret it.

Cookie it is then :)

Anonymous said...

I am vainly hoping I am the friend you bought it for... It sounds really good.

mariel said...

That would be telling...

tanabata said...

Wonderful review! I'd heard good things about this but never did get around to reading it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to have to bold it on my wishlist. :P

The Bookworm said...

you make me want to read this one, great review!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

mariel said...

Tanabata and Naida - Thanks, I think you will both really like Skellig. Bold, highlight, underscore...all of the above!

Penny said...

I enjoyed Skellig as well. I put my review here:
http://ilovemybooks.blogspot.com/2009/02/skellig-by-david-almond.html

(I also linked yours to it.)

mariel said...

Thanks Penny, I've linked to your page from here. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I adored "Skellig"! I recommend it to my students all the time, and it's kind of interesting because they'll ask me what it's about and I'll say, "It's kind of hard to explain ... start reading, and you'll figure it out soon enough". Strangely enough, about 90% of them stick with it.

I found the bond between Michael and his baby sister to be especially poignant. As anyone with siblings knows, that is among the most complex (and, of course, perpetually existing) relationships.

Great review : )

mariel said...

KLo - Thanks! I absolutely loved this and am continuing to buy it as a gift for friends. It definitely brought a tear to my eye.