Read for: Challenge with Rhinoa
Mercedes (Mercy) Thompson is a Native American mechanic with her own auto repair shop in the Tri-Cities of Washington State. A pretty damn good mechanic, Mercy also has a secret...she is a walker, a shapeshifter who can take the form of a coyote. In this world, many of the lesser fae have revealed themselves to the wider public, although werewolves and shapeshifters still keep themselves hidden. Mercy lives next door to the Alpha of the Tri-Cities werewolf pack, Adam, and is fast friends with his daughter, Jesse. Another friend is a local vampire, who manages to blend into the community but drives around in a replica of the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine!
Moon Called is the first in the Mercy Thompson series, in which Mercy becomes embroiled in deadly werewolf business when she gives a teenage runaway werewolf a job as her assistant. She soon discovers a deeper plot, and when Adam is gravelly wounded and his daughter kidnapped, must resort to returning to the clan of werewolves who raised her in Montana. Mercy is forced to confront her feelings for her lost love and work alongside the werewolves and vampires in order to find Jesse and save the day.
The story itself didn't particularly inspire me, but Briggs' characterisation was excellent, with really enjoyable characters. I became completely involved in Mercy's plight and found the book very difficult to put down. Mercy herself was an interesting character, although the heroine, she is forced to concede to the Alphas decisions though she may not like it. However, as she is not part of the pack, she can often go against werewolf tradition and make her own choices.
I found the werewolves particularly enjoyable to read about, and was very taken with Adam and his relationship with the feisty mechanic. I will certainly be reading more of the series and hope that Stefan the vampire makes another appearance! A really enjoyable book.
Other blog reviews:
Medieval Bookworm
9 comments:
I really think I ahve to get into these, especially if characterisation is the big thing with Briggs.
This is one of my favorite urban fantasy series. I also really like her spin-off Alpha and Omega series too.
Jodie - A lot more enjoyable than I was expecting, and a really interesting opening to the series, setting up the characters nicely. I hope you like it.
Ladytink - I hope to read more later in the year, somehow they dont feel particularly wintry reads for me!
Enjoyable is really the best way to sum up this series. I love it and am looking forward to the newest book in March
this series of books by Patricia Briggs was better than what i though it was going to be, its similar Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Books, and Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series
xx
I've seen this one around and have heard good things.
Great review!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/
Kailana - Absolutely. This series may not go down as classic literature, but thoroughly enjoyable reads, I couldn't put mine down! I have heard good things about Vaughn and Armstrong, I hope to read them sometime.
XJemX - Its great when a series surprises you like that.
Naida - I think you'll love it! Kick ass heroine, feisty romance...werewolves...what more does a girl need ;)
Glad you enjoyed this more than you thought you would. I hope you do read the next in the series, they only get better.
Rhinoa - I will most definitely be reading more. Thanks for the recommend!
Post a Comment