Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Singing - Alison Croggon

Rating: 5

For those of you that enjoy fantasy novels in the style of Lord of the Rings or the Sword of Shannara, the Books of Pellinor are a must read. The Singing is the final part of this series by Australian author, poet, essayist and theatre writer, Alison Croggon.

The Books of Pellinor are supposedly a translation of the Naraudh Lar-Chane (The Riddle of the Treesong), an ancient but undateable document which is a classic in Annaren literature. The story is set in the world of Edil-Amarandh, home to a wide diversity of cultures, and reveals the fascinating history and culture of the Bards.

The Books of Pellinor have rapidly become one of my favourite fantasy series of all time, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Written for young adults, the stories have the excitement, adventure, emotion and rich detail of work such as Lord of the Rings, with Croggon creating the 'Speech' and language of the 'Elidhu'. However, the writing is different and far more accessible for reader, who is drawn completely into the story. I found myself entirely gripped by Maerad's peril and enchanted by the lands and creatures that she encounters.

This rest of this review will contain spoilers for the earlier books in the series, of which my reviews are linked below. Part 1, The Gift, tells the story of Maerad of Pellinor's coming into her Gift as a Bard, with Part 2, The Riddle, continuing the story of her adventures, and Part 3, The Crow, detailing events in the South and the adventures of Hem, Maerad's brother.

The Gift
The Riddle
The Crow

In the Singing, we find Maerad reunited with her friend and mentor, Cadvan, and travelling in her form as a wolf. They journey from the North with their half of the Treesong, unaware that Maerad's brother Hem, travels up from the South with the other half. Maerad and Hem feel an uncontrollable pull toward each other, as the Treesong itself works to be joined, but they both find their journeys fraught with peril. Maerad and Cadvan become trapped in Innail as the full power of the Landrost is turned against them, forcing Maerad to confront the true power deep within her. Meanwhile, Hem and Saliman attempt to outrun the Nameless One's Black Army as it marches north from Den Raven, and Hem is forced to confront his own talents when Saliman becomes infected with the White Sickness.

Alison Croggon's work is compelling and bold. Her characters are engaging but by no means perfect, most of them be tempted by the Darkness at some point in the tale. Cadvan remains my favourite character, and I really enjoyed how he developed throughout his journey, and how his relationship with Maerad evolves. Maerad is still a fascinating character, often driving me to an intense dislike and frustration, but then to pity and empathy. Her struggle is certainly reminiscent of Frodo's epic journey in Tolkien's work, but with the intriguing difference of having far more power and control of her destiny. Even if the Riddle of the Treesong is discovered and the Nameless One destroyed, what fate will that leave for the Bards of Edil-Amaranth. Quite a burden.

I found myself quite bereft as I finished the Books of Pellinor. I have followed these characters throughout their journey, and was very sad that it had to come to an end. However, I have now begun to discover Alison Croggon's other work, and see a whole new world of poetry and essays opening up to me. Where one journey ends..another begins!

Other reviews/links:
Alison Croggon's blog

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh it got a 5 so exciting. I can't wait to get around to this series (realistically next year). I am sure you will find yourself another series to fall in love with. Hopefully she will write something new soon.

Ana S. said...

wow! you totally convinced me to give this series a try!

And I know how it feels to finish a favourite series. You don't want to say goodbye.

Alison Croggon said...

Many thanks Mariel - I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The Singing was very scary to write, as you might imagine. Yes, I will write other books, but I'm not sure they'll be epic fantasy - that was seven years! I'm thinking short chapters. Very short chapters. :)

The Bookworm said...

this series sounds great. I may have to add thes to my wish list, I loved the LOTR books.
great review!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

mariel said...

rhinoa, nymeth & naida - you most definitely must read this series!

alison - many thanks for stopping by! you keep writing, and we'll keep reading!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I am visiting from over at Rima's place and having a lovely time here!
You have a wonderful blog and I love your book rating system.

Jonathan Strange was one of my all time favorite books! I couldn't wait to go there every day and was so sorry when I finished.

Edward sends greetings as well.

Andrew Clarke said...

If you like The Lord Of The Rings and "The Sword Of Shannara", you might also enjoy "Outcasts Of Skagaray". For sample chapters, go to www.threeswans.com.au If you enjoy it, tell us what you think! Happy reading, anyway.

Nerys2q said...

Great review! I know what you mean, I felt absolutely forlorn when I realized that this was the last book, the last pages, the last words that led up to THE END.