Tuesday, June 3, 2008

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

Rating: 4 1/2
Read for: TBR Challenge 2008

I saw this film for the first time years ago and absolutely loved it despite being an American remake of a British set novel (which I usually avoid), but apart from the Polysyllabic Spree (which isn't fiction), I still hadn't gotten around to reading a Nick Hornby novel until this past week. I had high expectations, seeing as the film was so good and the book was so highly recommended by my best friend, and I wasn't disappointed.

Rob is the owner of Championship Vinyl, a record store in London, and we meet him as his girlfriend, Laura, is moving out of their apartment. The story then follows Rob, as he revaluates his life and loves, specifically his failed relationships. High Fidelity is about life, love and music. It is self-effacing yet brash, modern but unpretentious (for the most part!), gently ironic and reassuring. Love (and life for for that matter) isn't all fireworks and string instruments, it takes work, but sometimes there's nothing that can be done to save it...nor should there be.

I was pleasantly surprised (though I'm not sure why) about how much of the original dialogue in this book actually made it into the film. Huge sections of dialogue were used word for word, despite the characters and setting being slightly altered. I was actually tempted to add some of my favourite dialogue to this review, but found there was so much that I couldn't choose! It was hard at times to not picture the actors from the film while reading this book (which is why I always try to read the book first), as although not what you might always expect, they fitted the characters perfectly, adding just enough while retaining Hornby's essence. The novel does make a lot more sense set in nineties London, but the transition from book to screen does seem to have worked, this time anyway!

Highly enjoyable, though I imagine the protagonist Rob and his record shop cohorts Dick and Barry might be a little ashamed of my music collection! I'm a little out of date, and have little interest in much of the pop and rock that passes the airwaves! I'm a more chilled out singer/songwriter kind of girl, though I do have a soft spot for old eighties hits! I will definitely be adding About a Boy to my reading list.

3 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! I read About a Boy last year and it was also excellent.

Susan said...

I haven't read this yet....now your review has made me want to! I have his 'A Long way Down' on my TBR pile, though. And of course, his book on *Arsenal* !!Great review, Mariel! thanks for coming by my blog, I've added you to mine now :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it and managed to find time to finish it. I loved it when I first read pinched it off my dad back when I was about 16/17. The film is one of my all time favourite films as well (yummy John Cusak). I hope you like About a Boy but I do feel that this has been by far his best novel to date.